Hey y’all!! I know I have not been following schedule and posting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday but I have not felt inspired. I have not felt like I could put out good content lately and I never want to be the person who just posts to post. Starting this blog I kind of just wanted it to be a record of my life I can look back on one day but also be able to share things with other people, kind of like an online journal. I have been racking my brain thinking about what I wanted to write and nothing was coming to me. I took a break and stopped beating myself up about having a lack of ideas. I was taking care of myself mentally and physically and that was when it hit. Why not share my tips for taking care of yourself? So, today that is exactly what I am going to do! These work exceedingly well for me, I can not guarantee they will help you the way they help me but I really hope they do.
To not make this unnecessarily long, we are going to go ahead and jump into it! I am going to give you my tips and how I incorporate them into my life. I hope if you choose to use any of these in your day to day life that they work as well for you as they have for me.
- DRINK ENOUGH WATER. I know it is super easy to forget to drink water when so many soda, juice and coffee products are out there for us to consume but you have to drink enough water. I have recently incorporated a rule into my life that I do not let myself have anything to drink besides water until I have downed at least 1.5 liters. Incorporating more water into your life is literally life changing. Water is a literal necessity. You will have more energy, better skin, and it will boost your immune system as well as flush out toxins. Drink more water! If you are reading this, drink a glass of water while you scroll.
- DO NOT CHECK YOUR PHONE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. Not getting on social media, reading texts and emails or returning calls as soon as you open your eyes is so so important. Waking up should be a nice experience but if you check your phone first thing it has the potential to ruin your whole day. What if the first thing you read in the morning is an email from your employer saying you have to work the weekend? What if you read a text from a friend informing you of something incredibly sad? Do not check your phone first thing. I think you need to be able to have breakfast or perform your morning routine without your phone. Enjoy waking up before you get on the phone.
- WEAR CLOTHES YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE IN. Trust me when I say it is so much more important to be comfortable than to be “trendy.” I have come to the realization that when I am wearing clothes I am comfortable in I am more confident. Imagine wearing a shirt or pair of pants that EVERYONE else was wearing only to feel uncomfortable in them and feel a lack of confidence all because of an expectation. I wear sportswear most days because it is what I like. I like wearing an Adidas t-shirt and pair of joggers. I know they suit me and look good on me and when you look good you will feel good and vice versa. Do not buy clothes you feel uncomfortable in to “fit it.” I promise it will only make you feel bad in the grand scheme of things.
- SURROUND YOURSELF WITH GOOD PEOPLE. Whether it be your family or your friends always make sure the people you surround yourself with have your best interests at heart. You will encournter a lot of temporary people in your life and that is okay. Some people are for a reason, some for a season, and when you are incredibly lucky you get some for a lifetime. People are inherintely good and a lot of people will unintentionally hurt you, do not hold it against them but do not let them do it again. The good people are out there, seek them out. Lift other people up, expose your positive vibes and you will get that back.
- SPEND TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY. Your family loves you. I promise. Spend time with your parents, your grandparents, etc. These are the few people you should always be able to count on. If you are fortunate enough to be blessed with a loving caring family, do not take it for granted. If you do not have the support system in your family, make your own. Family is not always defined by blood.
- LEARN TO BE ALONE. You do not need another person to entertain you and give you attention. People become so dependent on others that they forget how to be alone. Once you learn that you can be happy by yourself your life is a lot of fun. You stop focusing on others opinions and live for you and that is one of the best things you will ever do.
- EAT FOODS YOU ENJOY. I am not suggesting you go and eat a gallon of ice cream every single day but I am saying let yourself have what you are craving. If you want a bowl of ice cream, eat it. Find a balance between eating foods that are good for you and things you like to indulge in. I LOVE chips and salsa so to balance that out I try to eat a good amount of vegetables and fruits throughout the week. Your weight is JUST a number, do what you have to do to be HEALTHY. Focus on being healthy and letting yourself have the things you enjoy. Life is all about balance.
- FIND SOMETHING YOU ENJOY AND DO IT. Honestly, this is so simple. Find a hobby you enjoy and do it. Do not let anyone tell you that you can not enjoy a hobby because it is not “cool.” If you want to join a book club, DO IT. If you want to join a sewing club, DO IT. Painting, singing, writing, whatever you like to do you are allowed to do. The opinions of others are not needed for your hobbies to be valid. The amount of people who let others dictate their hobbies is astounding. Never become a person fueled by other people’s wants. If you enjoy it, that is all that matters.
- REMEMBER SOCIAL MEDIA IS NOT REAL LIFE. What you see is not real life. People on social media share the best moments of their lives because no one likes to share the sad or hard moments. WE ALL HAVE HARD AND SAD MOMENTS. Do not be mislead into believing because someone seems to have it all or seems to be living the life you want that they have it all. I wrote a post all about how social media can be misleading so if you want to know more of my thoughts on that click here.
- WASH YOUR FACE AND MOISTURIZE. I am notorious for being too lazy to do this but I am getting so much better. Find what works for you and use it. Do not get into bed without being clean and moisturized. Results may not be instantaneous but if you keep with it, you will start to see a change. Add in a face mask a few times a week and make it a full on pamper session. Let yourself have an at-home spa night. Doing simple things like this will give you something to look forward to and make the days so by a little bit easier.
I hope this helped you. The things I have listed are how I have learned to take care of myself. I personally feel these things are fail-proof. You can not mess these up. What ways do you take care of yourself mentally and physically? Let me know in the comments!